Each Mapping Payload includes a Freefly mapping gimbal, 61MP Sony Alpha 7R IVA, a 24mm lens, a USB drive to capture geo-tagged images and a foam insert that nests under the Astro in the Astro travel case.
The Mapping Gimbal natively mounts to your Astro with the Freefly Smart Dovetail system.* This connection provides power and data communication from the camera to the the ground station controller (and LTE network) for camera controls (camera settings and shutter), gimbal control (tilt), and image preview.
Smart Dovetail is not hotswap compatible. To avoid damaging Astro or your sensor, please power off the aircraft before attaching or removing a Smart Dovetail payload.
- This kit includes a payload specifically optimized for mapping with the Vibration Isolator with Smart Dovetail and Astro.
- If you are buying Astro Map, it comes with this payload and the Vibration Isolator with Smart Dovetail pre-installed, in the travel case.
- The Mapping Payload is not available without the camera/lens, nor is it practical or advised to disassemble the payload to use the camera for other purposes.
*If you are buying this for an Astro you already have, and it doesn't have a Smart Dovetail built into the vibration isolator, you will need to purchase one in order to mount the Mapping Payload on your Astro.
- Mapping Payload
- Freefly Mapping Gimbal
- Sony Alpha 7R IVA camera body (61 megapixel resolution)
- Sigma 24mm f3.5 mapping lens (p/n 404965)
- Camera and gimbal control from Herelink pilot controller (Herelink sold separately, included with Astro Base)
- Typical Astro flights with Mapping Payload are 25-32 minutes, depending on speed / conditions, per pair of batteries
- Ships in a box with reusable foam
- Custom cut foam insert designed for Freefly Astro Travel Case
- The Freefly Mapping Gimbal is designed and assembled in USA.
- Qty 1 - Mapping Payload
- Qty 1 - Freefly Mapping Gimbal
- Qty 1 - Sony Alpha 7R IVA 61MP camera body (pre-installed in gimbal)
- Qty 1 - Sigma 24mm f3.5 mapping lens (p/n 404965)
- Qty 1 - USB - C thumb drive
- Qty 1 - Foam insert set for Astro Travel Case
The Mapping Payload comes with:
- Freefly Mapping Gimbal
- Sony Alpha 7R IVA Camera Body
- Sigma 24mm f3.5 Mapping Lens
- USB C Thumb Drive
- Reusable Foam insert for Astro Travel Case
*The Astro Isolator is required for operation on Astro and is sold separately.
Mounting or Integrating
Vibration Isolator with Smart Dovetail
Recommended quantity: 1
Vibration isolation mount with Freefly Smart Dovetail for mounting Mapping Payload to Astro
This isolator is required for operation of the Mapping Payload on Astro and is not otherwise included if removed now.